Karla Camila Cabello Estrabao (born March 3, 1997) is a Cuban-American singer and songwriter. She was a member of the girl group Fifth Harmony, formed on The X-Factor (US) in 2012, signing a joint record deal with Syco Music and Epic Records.
While a part of Fifth Harmony, Cabello began to establish herself as a solo artist with the release of the collaborations "I Know What You Did Last Summer" with Shawn Mendes, and "Bad Things" with Machine Gun Kelly. Her debut solo single, "Crying In The Club", was released in May 2017, and peaked at number 47 in the United States. Refocusing her sound to Latin-influenced music thereafter, her debut studio album, Camila (2018), debuted at number-one on the Billboard 200 chart, with its lead single, "Havana", topping the charts in several countries, including the UK and the US. The second single, "Never Be The Same", also reached the top 10 in several countries.
Early life Edit
Cabello was born in Cojímar, Cuba to Sinuhé Estrabao and Alejandro Cabello, and grew up in the town of Cojímar in East Havana. Her father was born in Mexico City and is a Mexican who moved to Cuba. She also has a younger sister named Sofia. For most of her early life, Cabello and her family moved back and forth between Havana and Mexico City, before relocating to Miami, Florida, in the United States when Cabello was aged five. Cabello acquired American citizenship in 2008. She attended Miami Palmetto High School but left in the 2012–2013 school year, while she was in 9th grade, to pursue her singing career. She later earned her high school diploma.
2012–2016: The X Factor and Fifth Harmony Edit
Camila Cabello auditioned for The X Factor in Greensboro, North Carolina with Aretha Franklin's "Respect", however, her audition was not aired because the series did not get the rights for the song. After elimination during the "boot camp" portion of the process in Miami, Florida, Cabello was called back to the stage along with other contestants Ally Brooke, Normani Kordei, Lauren Jauregui, and Dinah-Jane Hansen to form the girl group that would later become known as Fifth Harmony. After finishing in third place on the show they signed a joint deal with Syco Music, owned by Simon Cowell, and Epic Records, L.A. Reid's record label.
The group released the EP Better Together (2013) along with the studio albums Reflection (2015) and 7/27 (2016). The latter two generated the singles "Worth It" and "Work from Home", respectively, which reached the top 10 in several international charts. From 2013 through the end of 2016, Cabello performed in various Fifth Harmony tours. In November 2015, Cabello collaborated with Canadian singer Shawn Mendes on a duet titled "I Know What You Did Last Summer", a song they wrote together. The single charted at number 20 in the US and 18 in Canada and was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). On October 14, 2016, American rapper Machine Gun Kelly released a joint single with Cabello called "Bad Things", which reached a peak of number four on the US Billboard Hot 100. Time included her on "The 25 Most Influential Teens of 2016" list.
On December 18, 2016, the group announced Cabello's departure, with both parts explaining contradictory circumstances of the exit.> She appeared in a previously taped performance with the group on Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve. Writing about Cabello's time on the group, a Billboard journalist noted it is "rather uncommon for someone to stand out in a collective as much as Cabello has over the past years."
2017–2018: Camila Edit
On January 25, 2017, "Love Incredible", a collaboration with Norwegian DJ Cashmere Cat, leaked online. The official version of the song was released on February 16 and later featured on Cashmere's debut studio album, 9. Cabello recorded "Hey Ma" with Pitbull and J Balvin for The Fate of the Furious soundtrack. The Spanish version of the single and its music video was released on March 10, 2017, and the English version was released on April 6. The singer was also featured on a collaboration with Major Lazer, Travis Scott and Quavo, for the song "Know No Better". In May 2017, Cabello announced the future release of her first studio album, at the time titled The Hurting. The Healing. The Loving., which she described as "the story of my journey from darkness into light, from a time when I was lost to a time when I found myself again." Her debut solo single "Crying In The Club" was released on May 19, 2017, followed by a performance at the 2017 Billboard Music Awards. The single peaked at number 47 in the United States. She joined Bruno Mars' 24K Magic World Tour as an opening act for several of its dates, and also partnered with clothing brand Guess as the face for their 2017 Fall campaign.
New writing and recording sessions for her album were influenced by the success of her single "Havana", which postponed its original release date. Upon its release, the single reached number one in Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Hungary, and the United States. It also spent seven weeks atop the US Mainstream Top 40 airplay chart. The song became Spotify's most-streamed song ever by a solo female artist in June 2018, with over 888 million streams at the time. Titled Camila, her debut album is a pop record containing Latin-influenced songs and ballads. Camila was released on January 12, 2018, and debuted at number one in the United States with 119,000 album-equivalent units, including 65,000 from pure album sales. The album was eventually certified platinum in the country. "Real Friends" and "Never Be The Same" were released in the same day on December 7, 2017; the latter becoming her third top 10 entry on the Hot 100. "Havana" and "Never Be the Same" made Cabello the first artist to top the Mainstream Top 40 and Adult Top 40 airplay charts with the first two singles from a debut studio album.
Cabello started dating English dating coach Matthew Hussey in February 2018. In April 2018, Cabello embarked on the Never Be The Same Tour, her first as a solo artist. She was featured in "Sangria Wine", a song she recorded with Pharrell Williams. Cabello released the song live during her headlining tour. In May 2018, Cabello made a cameo appearance in both volumes of Maroon 5's music videos for "Girls Like You" . In the same month, she began performing as the opening act for Taylor Swift's Reputation Stadium Tour in between the European leg of the Never Be the Same Tour. She headlined an arena for the first time on July 31, 2018 at the Mohegun Sun Arena. Cabello was featured in the remix version of "Beautiful", a song from American singer Bazzi. The song was released on August 2. On October 8, Cabello released the video single, "Consequences", having first surprised 12 of her biggest fans in advance, with a "Most Amazing Mystery Gift & Personal Letter".
2019: Romance Edit
In October 2018, Cabello announced she would start working on new music in the new year after the holidays.[In December 2018 she was nominated for two Grammys at the 61st Annual ceremony for Best Pop Solo Performance for a live version of "Havana" as well as Best Pop Vocal Album for Camila. In April 2019, it was announced that Cabello would star in an upcoming film adaptation of Cinderella, directed by Kay Cannon for Sony Pictures.
On June 21, 2019, Cabello released "Señorita" with Canadian singer Shawn Mendes, along with the music video.The song debuted at number 2 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart and marks Mendes' and Cabello's second collaboration, following "I Know What You Did Last Summer" released in 2015. In August, "Señorita" climbed to the number one position, making it Cabello's second single to top the Hot 100 chart as lead artist
She was also the part of song South of the Border by Ed Sheeran along with American rapper Cardi B released in July, 2019
On September 1, 2019, Cabello posted a clip on Instagram, teasing the release of an upcoming project titled Romance. Two days later, she announced the first two installments of the project: "Liar" and "Shameless", which were released on September 5. She then released "Cry for Me" and "Easy" in October 2019.
Personal Life / Relationships Edit
Cabello was in a relationship with dating coach and writer Matthew Hussey, whom she met on the set of Today. They dated from February 2018 to June 2019. Since July 2019, she is dating Canadian singer Shawn Mendes. However, the relationship has garnered controversy, as both were accused of attempting to form a relationship for publicity.However, Mendes denied it stating it's "definitely not a publicity stunt".
Camila Cabello is mainly a pop singer, who is heavily influenced by Latin music. She also incorporated elements of R&B, reggaeton, dancehall and hip hop in her first album. She lists Alejandro Fernández and Celia Cruz as her main Latin influences which she portrays in her music. For her first record, she took inspiration from contemporary Latin artists such as Calle 13 and J Balvin. She also cites Michael Jackson, Rihanna, Shakira, and the songwriting of Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift.
On February 28, 2016, Cabello announced she had partnered with Save the Children to design a limited-edition "Love Only" T-shirt to help raise awareness of issues involving girls' equal access to education, health care and opportunities to succeed. In June 2016, Cabello, producer Benny Blanco, and members of the nonprofit arts organization OMG Everywhere helped to create the charity single "Power in Me".
Cabello has also partnered with the Children's Health Fund, a non-profit dedicated to providing healthcare to low-income families with children.
In late 2017, Cabello joined Lin-Manuel Miranda and multiple other Latin artists on the song "Almost Like Praying" to benefit those in Puerto Rico who were affected by Hurricane Maria.
On December 18, 2019 a Twitter account posted a thread showcasing racist and abusive posts Cabello had made and reblogged on her Tumblr account "vous-etess-belle". Those posts feature the n-word and some posts made fun of black, Asian and Mexican people. Cabello also shared a post that made fun of Rihanna being a victim of abuse after the singer was assaulted by Chris Brown. The majority of the posts containing offensive language are posts that Cabello reblogged from other users. However, Cabello also used a racial slur when publically answering a question on her Tumblr. Another post accuses Taylor Swift of "slut-shaming," Rihanna of wearing "little to no clothing," and also makes fun of Bruno Mars, Nicki Minaj and other rappers.
That wasn't the first time Cabello had been accused of racist behaviour, however she had apologised many times in the past for the accusations. When addressing the Tumblr account, she verified her ownership of the Tumblr account and apologised for the "horrible" and "hurtful" comments. Her former band mate Normani who is a person of color admitted that she was "hurt" and "devastated" by Cabello's comments and also noted that Cabello had also made racist remarks against her: "It took days for her to acknowledge what I was dealing with online and then years for her to take responsibility for the offensive tweets that recently resurfaced."
Awards and nominations Edit
Among her awards, Cabello has won an MTV Europe Music Award, three iHeartRadio Much Music Video Awards, and the Billboard Women in Music award for Breakthrough Artist.
- Main article: Discography
- Main article: Filmography
|The X Factor U.S.||Herself|| Contestant: season 2|
Guest: 1 episode in season 3
|2014||Faking It||Herself||Episode: "The Ecstasy and the Agony"|
|2015||Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse||Herself||Episode: "Sisters' Fun Day"|
|2016||The Ride||Herself||Episode: Fifth Harmony: The Ride|
|Immigration Rights||Herself||Total Registration Live, MTV|
|"Screaming my lungs out for ya
Not afraid to face it."
To view the Camila Cabello gallery, click here.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Camila Cabello: 'Our Dreams Were Bigger Than Our Fears'
- ↑ Biography & History
- ↑ Camila Cabello's Empowering Message About Her Sister Is So Important
- ↑ Cabello Going Solo
- ↑ Q&A with Palmetto student Camila Cabello
- ↑ Camila Cabello: de candidate à "The X Factor" à superstar
- ↑ Fifth Harmony member Camila Cabello quits group
- ↑ Bio: Fifth Harmony
- ↑ How losing 'X-Factor' made Fifth Harmony the ultimate winners
- ↑ Simon Cowell Signs Fifth Harmony
- ↑ Fifth Harmony Biography
- ↑ Shawn Mendes is back with a brand new single, "I Know What You Did This Summer"
- ↑ Camila Cabello, Shawn Mendes Talk 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'
- ↑ Gold & Platinum
- ↑ Machine Gun Kelly & Camila Cabello Team Up for 'Bad Things' Single: Exclusive Cover Art
- ↑ Migos Return to No. 1 on Hot 100, The Chainsmokers Debut in Top 10
- ↑ The 30 Most Influential Teens of 2016
- ↑ After 4 and a half years...
- ↑ Why You'll See Camila Cabello Perform With Fifth Harmony on NYE
- ↑ Inside Camila Cabello's Fifth Harmony Exit: Where Did It All Go Wrong?
- ↑ Camila Cabello's 'Love Incredible' Collab With Cashmere Cat Has Leaked
- ↑ Love Incredible (feat. Camila Cabello) – Single Cashmere Cat
- ↑ of the Furious: Pitbull, Camila Cabello debut video for English version of 'Hey Ma'
- ↑ Listen To Major Lazer's New Single "Know No Better" Featuring Travis Scott, Quavo & Camila Cabello
- ↑ Camila Cabello Announces 'The Hurting, the Healing, the Loving' Album & New Song 'I Have Questions'
- ↑ Camila Cabello Drops Steamy Video for Debut Solo Singles, 'Crying in the Club' & 'I Have Questions'
- ↑ YES! Her debut performance will be at the #BBMAs this Sunday at 8e/5p on ABC! #CAMILAxBBMAs
- ↑ Camila Cabello Chart History [Hot 100]
- ↑ Camila Cabello Confirmed As Supporting Act For Bruno Mars' "24K Magic Tour"
- ↑ Camila Cabello is the Newest Face of Guess: Exclusive
- ↑ Camila Cabello on the success of Havana and the status of her debut album: "Life's too short to be afraid"
- ↑ Camila Cabello's 'Havana' Logs Longest Run Atop Pop Songs Chart for a Lead Female in Five Years
- ↑ Camila Cabello's 'Havana' Is Spotify's Most-Streamed Song Ever by a Solo Female Artist
- ↑ Camila Cabello: Camila review – Havana hitmaker makes breakups look easy
- ↑ Camila Cabello Reveals Release Date For Self-Titled Debut Album: 'Feels Like the End of a Chapter'
- ↑ Gold & Platinum: Camila Cabello
- ↑ Camila Cabello Drops Two New Tracks Off Upcoming Debut, 'Never Be The Same' & 'Real Friends'
- ↑ Drake's 'Nice for What' No. 1 on Billboard Hot 100, Post Malone's 'Psycho' No. 2 & Camila Cabello's 'Never Be the Same' Hits Top 10
- ↑ Camila Cabello Is the First Artist to Top Pop & Adult Pop Songs Charts With First Two Singles From Debut LP
- ↑ Camila Cabello Kisses Boyfriend at Airport After a Little Encouragement From Fans [VIDEO]
- ↑ Hear Camila Cabello, Pharrell's Playful Salsa Song 'Sangria Wine'
- ↑ Camila Cabello Announces Never Be the Same Tour
- ↑ After opening for Taylor Swift in Foxboro, Camila Cabello heads to Mohegan Sun
- ↑ Camila Cabello Teams Up With Tourmate Bazzi for 'Beautiful' Remix, Out This Week
- ↑ Camila Cabello Hints at 'Consequences' Music Video by Sending Mysterious Packages to Fans
- ↑ Twitter - "@motivatefenty - "exposing camila cabello‘s racist and downright disturbing tumblr reblogs: a thread"
- ↑ Twitter - @Camila_Cabello - "I'm sorry from the bottom of my heart."
- ↑ "Rolling Stone - "Normani: A Pop Perfectionist Makes Her Move"
|Discography • Videography • Awards and nominations|