"Cry for Me" is the tenth song from Camila Cabello's second studio album, Romance. It was released on October 4, 2019, by Epic Records and Syco Music and follows the release of the songs "Liar" and "Shameless", the lead singles from the album.
Background[edit | edit source]
Cabello announced the track's release on social media on October 2, 2019, and called it one of her "favorites" and explained that it was written about "when your ex moves on faster than you and of course you want them to be happy but just..... not so fast". Two days later Cabello explained the track further more, saying "I wrote a song back when I was 16 called I’m Pissed Off You’re Happy, about a situation where someone and I broke up and sooner than I expected, they moved on, they were having fun and happy and dating and I was just like.... what the hell, that didn’t take very long. I took that idea and put it into this song, the feeling nobody likes to admit about feeling wild with jealousy".
Critical reception[edit | edit source]
Emily Zemler of Rolling Stone described the song as a "pop number" that takes on that feeling after a breakup where you want your ex to be just as miserable as you are".
Live performances[edit | edit source]
Camila first performed "Cry for Me" on Saturday Night Live, on October 12, 2019.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
Lyrics[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Hear Camila Cabello Mourn an Ex on New Track ‘Cry For Me’
- Camila Cabello – “Cry For Me”
- Camila Cabello Performs Stripped-Down Version Of Lewis Capaldi’s ‘Someone You Loved’
- Camila Cabello vai lançar música “Cry For Me” na sexta-feira (in Portuguese)
- Camila Cabello announces new song, "Cry for Me," coming Friday
- camila on Twitter
- camila on Twitter: "I WANT YOU TO CRY FOR ME. 🥵"
- Camila Cabello Gives Off Marie Antoinette Vibes in Lavish 'Saturday Night Live' Performance