"Don't Go Yet" is a single recorded by Camila Cabello, written by Cabello with E. Frederic, along with its producers Mike Sabath and Scott Harris. Released through Epic Records on July 23, 2021, as the lead single from Cabello's upcoming third studio album Familia, the song marks her first radio single since "My Oh My" in 2019, from her album Romance.
An accompanying music video was released with the song, directed by Philippa Price and Pilar Zeta.
Background and composition
Cabello started teasing the song in mid July 2021 on her social media. On July 14, she posted stills from a music video with the caption "Welcome to the family. 7/23" in Spanish. That same day, she revealed the single's title and artwork through her social media. On the thinking behind the song, Cabello stated:
When it was time to get back in the studio I was like, 'Okay, I want to do this differently than I ever did it before'. I want to just work with people that are my friends first and people that I build intimate relationships with, and I want to do it in an intimate way.
"Don't Go Yet" is a song about togetherness, partially inspired by "being home again with family during the pandemic". "What I really wanted to manifest is collective joy," Cabello told Apple Music. "'Don't Go Yet' is—sonically and melodically—just me being free. I think being in Miami for so long and having more family around me and speaking Spanish just kind of brought me back. I think my roots went deeper in a way that I really needed." The song is written in the key of B♭ Minor and has a tempo of 110 beats per minute.
"Don't Go Yet" artwork was revealed on July 14, 2021. With creative direction by Pilar Zeta, the artwork features a photo of Cabello, photographed by Christine Hahn, in the middle with the song title above, and Cabello's name below. The song's typography was designed by W studio, a studio design based in Paris.
Describing it as a "fun, exuberant" song, The New York Times's Lindsay Zoladz wrote "Cabello leans harder than ever into her Latin-pop roots here, but there's also a sassy rasp to her vocals that brings Doja Cat to mind. 'Baby don't go yet 'cause I wore this dress for a little drama,' she sings, and the song's bright, bold flair certainly matches that sartorial choice." Anamaria Sayre of NPR wrote "[Camila] once again positions herself as la reina del Latin pop." She also praised Cabello's "stunning" vocal runs and sharp, "swishing hips that will captivate any audience; it will leave the most earworm impervious of listeners singing 'Don't Go Yet' all night long."
An accompanying music video of the song was released on July 23, 2021. It was directed by Philippa Price and Pilar Zeta. Cabello explained on YouTube's "Released" that both the song and music video were inspired by Cuban-Mexican family parties from her childhood, where "everybody eats dinner, and then after you put on a little cheap disco ball with lights and suddenly the living room is the dance floor."
Prior the music video's premiere, Cabello shared stills on her social media. Two days prior the song's release, the intro of the music video was shared on Cabello's social media which, according to her, featured "some Easter eggs".
The music video opens with Cabello taking a ride in a classic convertible as she switches stations on the radio. The footage then morphs into a toy car making its way up a dirt road to a grand home, where a Cabello rings the door bell. Inside, a vibrant party with friends and family is taking place. She joins the festivities as she sings and dances to the song. The singer is then shown dressed in a black dress with blue and red eye makeup, while dancing on the Table. Next scene feature Camila holding on to a man's leg as she wasn't ready for him to leave. Through the video Camila switches outfits and shows different looks with bright make-up. The music video features the type of "carefree, close-quarters family gathering", featuring many of Cabello’s actual family members, including her father, sister, and cousin, as well as drag queen Valentina.
Behind the scenes
Cabello debuted "Don't Go Yet" live at The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon on July 23, 2021.
Credits and personnel
- Camila Cabello – lead vocals, writing
- Scott Harris – writing, guitar
- E. Frederic – writing
- Mike Sabath – writing, production, programming, vocals
- Ricky Reed – writing, production, bass, programming
- Carlos Henriquez – acoustic bass, vocals
- Pedrito Martinez – congas, percussion, vocals
- Mike Ciro – guitar, vocals
- Yeissonn Villamar – piano, vocals
- Manuel Marquez – percussion, timbales, vocals
- John Ellis – saxophone, vocals
- Marshall Gilkes – trombone, vocals
- Mike Rodriguez – trumpet, vocals
- Michelle Mancini – mastering
- Gianluca Girard – assistant engineer
- Nicky Young – assistant engineer
- Manny Marroquin – mixing
- Bart Schoudel – recording
- Steve Xia – recording
|Various||July 23, 2021||Epic|
|United States||Contemporary hit radio||Epic|
- Strauss, Matthew (July 23, 2021). "Camila Cabello Shares Video for New Song “Don’t Go Yet”: Watch". Pitchfork. Retrieved on July 23, 2021.
- "camila on Instagram". Instagram (July 14, 2021). Retrieved on July 20, 2021. “listos?”
- Reese, Ginny (July 15, 2021). "Camila Cabello Teases New Project With Series Of Photos". iHeartRadio. Retrieved on July 20, 2021.
- "Camila Cabello Shares 'Don't Go Yet' Teaser". Billboard (July 17, 2021). Retrieved on July 20, 2021.
- "A-List Pop on Apple Music". Apple Music (July 23, 2021). Retrieved on July 23, 2021.
- "Key & BPM for Don't Go Yet by Camila Cabello". TuneBat. Retrieved on July 23, 2021.
- @coverartmatters (July 16, 2021). "COVER ART MATTERS on Instagram". Instagram. Retrieved on July 20, 2021.
- Lindsay Zoladz; Jon Pareles, Isabelia Herrera, Giovanni Russonello (July 23, 2021). "Lil Nas X and Jack Harlow’s Prison Break, and 13 More New Songs". The New York Times. Retrieved on July 26, 2021.
- Sayre, Anamaria (July 28, 2021). "Camila Cabello, 'Don't Go Yet' : #NowPlaying". NPR. Retrieved on July 28, 2021.
- @camila_cabello (July 21, 2021). "camila on Twitter". Twitter.
- Sinha, Charu (July 23, 2021). "[WATCH] Camila Cabello Drops ‘Don’t Go Yet’ Music Video". Vulture. Retrieved on July 23, 2021.
- Langford, Jackson (Julky 20, 2021). "Camila Cabello teases ‘Don’t Go Yet’, her first single in almost two years". NME. Retrieved on July 21, 2021.
- "camila on Twitter". Twitter (July 21, 2021). Retrieved on July 22, 2021. “I’m not sayin there’s any Easter eggs in this intro but.... I could be sayin there’s some Easter eggs in this intro”
- Legaspi, Althea (July 23, 2021). "Camila Cabello Previews ‘Familia’ LP With Vibrant New Video ‘Don’t Go Yet’". Rolling Stone. Retrieved on July 23, 2021.